Monday, June 1, 2015

Book Review: Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross

Whatever Life Throws at You 
By Julie Cross
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Source: Christmas Present
Summary: Life loves a good curveball…

Seventeen-year-old Annie Lucas's life is completely upended the moment her dad returns to the major leagues as the new pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals. Now she's living in Missouri (too cold), attending an all-girls school (no boys), and navigating the strange world of professional sports. But Annie has dreams of her own—most of which involve placing first at every track meet…and one starring the Royals' super-hot rookie pitcher.

But nineteen-year-old Jason Brody is completely, utterly, and totally off-limits. Besides, her dad would kill them both several times over. Not to mention Brody has something of a past, and his fan club is filled with C-cupped models, not smart-mouthed high school “brats” who can run the pants off every player on the team. Annie has enough on her plate without taking their friendship to the next level. The last thing she should be doing is falling in love.

But baseball isn't just a game. It's life. And sometimes, it can break your heart…


Review: O. M. G. Seriously. This. Book. I've had a couple of days to cool off and get over the book hangover Whatever Life Throws at You gave me because it was AMAZING. Ever since I heard it was a baseball romance, I knew that I had to have it. Baseball romances are my absolute favorite. I mean, who can resist a hot baseball player!? From the moment Brody was introduced to us, I was a goner…

When Annie Lucas's dad is offered a coaching spot for a major league baseball team, Annie pushes her dad to take it and move them to Missouri. Maybe then, her dad will finally stop letting her mom in and out of their lives whenever suits her best. Annie's dad enrolls her in the best track and field high school in the state while he works on coaching the rookie with a rocket arm and womanizing reputation. From the moment Annie meets Jason Brody, she's thrown off by the 19-year-old pitcher. She knows, though, that Brody is completely off limits, but Annie finds it harder and harder to stay away. 

From the start, I really enjoyed Annie's character and her strong relationship with her father. Annie is a very strong headed, stubborn person and moving to Missouri is what she needs to try to get her father to get over her mother instead of constantly letting her hurt him over and over again. Mmmm and the moment she meets Brody is absolutely perfect. This book had some serious laugh out loud moments and moments where I was absolutely freaking out. i read this in one sitting on my drive to Myrtle Beach and would turn to my sister every 15 minutes freaking out or sharing something funny to her. I mean, any book that references High School Musical is a win in my book. Also, I loved how Annie was a runner! And she ran with Brody? Ugh, why can't I just be her??? 

Annie and Brody have a pretty funny relationship from the start and I enjoyed how Annie slowly started falling for Brody. I loved how they were actually friends first and Annie ended up really falling for Brody. As a baseball fan, I think that Julie Cross had the perfect amount of actual baseball scenes thrown into the mix so that they showed how Brody was in his element as a pitcher but the scenes weren't too boring describing every detail of the game. The moments where Brody was pitching and Annie was watching were some of my favorites because I love me some baseball players! Haha, but seriously, the baseball element of this book sealed the deal for me. Not to mention that Annie had actual relationships with other people of this novel as well. Her friendship with Lenny was so fun and the relationship she had with her father was extremely important for the novel and her budding feelings for Brody. Annie went through so many big life decisions and had to think through how they would affect not only herself, but her family and friends as well. 

I could talk about this book forever and cannot get over how perfectly yummy Brody is. He's definitely one of my new favorite book boyfriends by far. *sigh* This book was so realistic and I loved how Annie was far from perfect. But she was so honest, especially later with Brody, and I just could not stop reading this book. I think every single person reading this has to read this book because it is definitely my favorite book of 2015 so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...